Louis Harvey more determined after round one of the Superone British Karting Championships.

Louis Harvey Superone Rowrah

The Step up from Club Racing to Britain’s most prestigious national championship was always going to be a challenge for Malmesbury 12 year old racing driver Louis Harvey. This Series sees the top drivers in the country competing at 7 national tracks and is the Formula One of karting in the UK.

After raising enough sponsorship to start the series Louis and his dad set off for Round one this weekend at Rowrah in Cumbria. This is not a track the youngster is familiar with having only been there once before.

Arriving on Friday to try and work everything out they were welcomed by what they have been told was the worst weather there in ten years for a race meeting. This weather was to play a big part in the whole weekend.

Superone is run differently from club rounds with a few practise sessions on the Saturday morning followed by timed qualifying similar to F1 followed by two heats in the afternoon. This sets up your positions for the Sunday pre-final and that result gives you your position for the main final.

With very tricky conditions with the wind and rain Louis set to work in trying to master this very technical track and despite his limited experience at Rowrah qualified 14th out of the top 30 drivers.

Heat 1 was next and after a great start was pushed wide on the second lap hitting some standing water and aquaplaning off the track into a mud bath. Now running last and undeterred he re-joined the race and put in a sterling drive to still finish 20th. After washing down the driver and kart a full check was carried out only to discover that the clutch on the engine had broken. With limited time Louis Spare engine which was supplied for Superone by Ideal Displays of Swindon was fitted and was to save the day.

Heat 2 and Louis set off to try and improve on his heat one result. No incidents in this heat but plenty of position swapping for the youngster who crossed the line 13th just outside the top ten. However, his lap times showed that he was one of the top ten fastest drivers in that session.

Sunday for the Pre-Final and Final saw the weather turn so bad that racing was postponed until later in the day once the fog had cleared and the water had drained away.

Louis performance on day one with the off in heat one had still qualified him 16th out of all the drivers so mid field. Wanting to do well Louis was pushing hard but made a mistake going down the hill into St Johns corner and ran himself off the track and dropping to dead last. Frustrated by his mistake he again pulled out all the stops and crossed the line 17th. Checking his lap times again he discovered that he was actually the 5th fastest on track in this session.

With the boost of knowing his lap times were up there with the top drivers he was feeling hopeful for the final and lined up 17th. He crossed the start line and was instantly in traffic but managed to make up a number of places in the first two hairpins. However, this was not to last and on the entrance to the Iredales hairpin a driver moved across and hit Louis’ front left wheel causing the valve to be ripped off and the tyre to go instantly flat. He limped the kart back to the pits with both the tyre and his emotions totally deflated.

When all the points were totalled Louis has come away from the first round in 21st position but with the knowledge that his times and performance is up there with the top 10 drivers. Not a bad start for the Rookie considering the weather an unfamiliar track and the incidents.

Louis is still looking for more sponsorship to complete the series and any offers of support should be sent to sponsorship@louisharvey.com He would also like to thank all his sponsors and supporters for helping to make this happen.

Leave a Reply